Recent tension in Mumbai

These are my observations on the tension in Mumbai in the past few days.

1. Lack of faith in the ability of the state to maintain peace and calm. Why is it that people fear violence at the slightest hint of it?

2. Media irresponsibility - Most the headlines I read mentioned 'Violence erupts in Mumbai'. Reading further, I found out that there were stray stone throwing incidents in a bout 4 localities of this vast metropolis. Surely, 'Sporadic incidents of stone throwing' would have been a more realistic headline? But no, in this age of sensationalism, reason flies out of the window.

3. Eagerness of Mumbai residents to believe the rumours. It almost felt that Mumbaites were hoping for some more such sensational news, so that they could reach home early, and maybe enjoy a day off work as well!

Fortunately, I had work at office, so could not leave office early (not that I was particularly keen to). When I finally left at 9 PM, it felt as if it were midnight! The shops were all closed, there was very little traffic, and the trains were not crowded. For a change, commuting in Mumbai was not a pain!

Comments

Popular Posts