About 2 Movies - The Departed and Andaaz Apna Apna

I watched "The Departed" on the back of some strong word - of - mouth. Surprise, suprise, it was almost a housefull at PVR, Mulund - the first time I am seeing that happen! For a movie released on a low budget advertising campaign, the word - of - mouth, coupled with the star cast, seems to be doing quite well, into its second week now in Mumbai.

This is not a movie review - I am sure there will be plenty of reviews in the blogosphere. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie - nearly 3 hours of it meaning that it was quite late by the time I got back home. It made quite an impact, with an interesting script, and some great performances. If anything, the violence was a bit over the top, but as the character of Jack Nicholson said in the movie, "Don't move till you are numb"! And the movie succeeds in numbing you - reason alone to watch it.

The next day, I watched an old favourite on Zee TV - Andaaz Apna Apna. It holds a huge nostalgic appeal for me. The movie was released when I was studying for my engineering degree in Pune. I remember one of my friends with whom I went to watch the movie literally jumping up and down the aisle, at some of the dialogues! After that, another friend and me used to watch the movie every time it was re-released, enjoying it every time. And the movie has lost none of its magic. Amazingly, my wife had not seen the movie, and while she laughed along, I am not too sure she appreciated it as much as I do!

Comments

Popular Posts