A weekend of cricket and football (soccer)

Last weekend saw me largely plonked in front of the idiot box. It started off with me watching Rang De Basanti. Yes, I am one of the half a dozen people, I guess, who have still not watched the movie. And I say still not watched, because I could only manage to be attentive till the Intermission. Maybe it was the pressure of expectation, but I did not find it outstanding, so far.

This was on Friday evening. I spent Sunday morning following the first Ashes test. The coverage, as always when it comes from australia, was excellent.

In the evening, it was time for soccer. The English Premier League had Bolton Wanderers playing Arsenal. Now both of them are among my favourties in the EPL, with Bolton a notch higher simply because they are not as well known as Arsenal. But they have some good players, who play strongly as a team, led by Sam Allardyce (Big Sam, as he is called!). And they showed just what they are capable of by demolishing Arsenal 3-1, with 2 superb striked from Nicholas Anelka. This has almost completely dashed Arsenals' title hopes for this season. I am wondering just how much of a role Patrick Vieras' exit has played in this slump.

I woke up early on Sunday morning to follow the Ashes. And it was worth it. Paul Collingwood and Kevin Pietersen took the fight to the Aussies, and for a while, looked like they were winning. But the stand-in Australia captain, Adam Gilchrist persisted with Shane Warne, who rewarded him with the wickets of Collingwood and Andrew Flintoff towards the end of an entertaining days' cricket.

Sunday afternoon saw India take on South Africa in the third ODI. India made a great start, having South Africa reeling at 76 - 6. Then I had to step out to Big Bazaar at R Mall in Mulund for household shopping. By the time I got back, the Indian innings had started, Sehwag was out, and we were chasing a target of above 270! When Tendulkar followed Sehwag back to the pavilion shortly thereafter, I knew the game was as good as lost. Sachin failed yet again, precisely when the team needed him the most. One must really start to question his motivation to continue playing cricket for India. Yes, he has given us all tremendous joy, made us proud, but it is clear that he is no longer the batsman he used to be. Dhoni saved us some blushes, but a second successive 100 + run loss really hurt.

But the biggest match for me was yet to come - Manchester United vs. Chelsea in the EPL. It lived up to its reputation, with fast paced end to end action. Chelsea fought back well to equalise on away turf. I had to agree with Chelsea manager, Jose Mourinho, who said that Man U had lost a chance to take charge in the race for the EPL champion.

All these hours of sports action on TV was too much for my wife! So I think next weekend will be different!

Comments

Popular Posts